Especially in the agricultural sector biomass is accumulated, which isn’t used in the most part of cases, the potential for the use of it is definitely given. Biomass can for example be used for the coupled production of electricity, heat and chilliness.
The project NANOSTIR presents a completely new, innovative and alternative CHCP unit (cogeneration of heat, chilliness and power). Ambition of the project is the combination of a biomass boiler, a Stirling engine and an absorption chiller in the low-performance band.
The components of the prototype are
- Biomass boiler AWK45 of BIOKOMPAKT Heiztechnik GmbH with thermal performance of 45 kW
- Stirling engine with electrical performance of 1 kW an thermal performance of 3 kW with heat absorption of about 5 kW
- Absorption chiller of WEGRA Anlagenbau GmbH with chilliness-performance of about 15 kW
Biomass boiler, reference: BIOKOMPAKT GmbH Stirling engine, reference: LFS Tulln Absorption chiller, reference: WEGRA Anlagenbau GmbH
and they combine the following aspects:
- Ecological sustainability by the use of biomass (ligneous an not ligneous biomass)
- Production of electricity
- Allocation of heat and chilliness
- Higher autonomy compared to conventional energy supply
Simultaneous NANOSTIR persecutes the optimisation of the integrated Stirling engine by nanotechnological coating of the primary heat exchanger. Currently all Stirling engines operated by wood logs, chips or pellets, etc. have the same problem: more or less soiling and slagging of the primary heat exchanger of the Stirling engine, depending of the combustible. The consequences are increased maintain efforts and significant performance diminution. By use of nanotechnological coating on the heat exchanger the slagging can be reduced considerable and durable.
The biomass boiler is the central component of the prototype unit. The integration of the Stirling engine is effected vertically over the flame into the ash compartment of the biomass boiler. In the past similar designed installations (Stirling engines powered by biomass) had more or less soiling and slagging at the primary heat exchanger. This problem can be avoided with the nanocoated primary heat exchanger. The biomass boiler feeds the complete heat into a dimensioned thermal heat buffer: this storage handles the heat circuit or the absorption chiller.
Overview of the installed prototype unit, reference: IZES gGmbH
Beside the production of electricity, heat and chilliness NANOSTIR wants to contribute to a major application and demand of CHCP units in combination with Stirling engines, which have no relevant market share at the moment on the European marked. By enlargement of the user application little and middle company’s and proprietary’s of appropriate immovable’s, which have a all-season demand of heat and chilliness, shall become more attention on this new CHCP technology. Last but not least effectiveness of over 90 % and the increasing impendency compared to power supplier will contribute to a dissemination of the NANOSTIR CHCP technology.
- 2008/2009: planning and research activities, especially concerning a appropriated nanocoating (progress)
- 2010: construction, completion and launch of the prototype unit (progress)
- 4. quarter 2010/2011: monitoring phase of the prototype unit
The CHCP plant has been built (Biomass boiler with integrated Stirling engine, absorption chiller and heat- and coolness storage) and integrated into the heat system of the professional school of agriculture Tulln (LFS). The absorption chiller offers coldness to a meeting room, a pc-training room and a food storage room. Consequently the school can use the NANOSTIR plant all-seasons to generate electricity, heat and coldness (depending of the season and the need) with biomass. During the 4th Quarter and 2011 a monitoring of the whole plant will be performed.
- ItN Nanovation - www.itn-nanovation.com
- Professional school of agriculture Tulln - www.lfs-tulln.ac.at
- BIOKOMPAKT Heiztechnik GmbH - www.biokompakt.com
- WEGRA Anlagenbau GmbH - www.wegra-anlagenbau.de
Kuhbier Law Firm - www.kuhbier.com
Kick-off - Meeting, 29./30. January 2008:
- Kick-off, Professional school of agriculture Tulln
- Program und Presentation of the IZES gGmbH
- Presentation BIOKOMPAKT Heiztechnik GmbH
- Presentation WEGRA Anlagenbau GmbH
- Presentation Landwirtschaftliche Fachschule Tulln
- Presentation Kuhbier Rechtsanwälte
Presentation ItN Nanovation AG
Symposium "Heat / Chilliness / Electricity - from one installation", 04. december
- Presentation of the project during the symposium (program + poster) at the professional school of agriculture Tulln
- Dr. Bodo Groß, IZES gGmbH: "Combination of a biomass boiler and a Stirling engine. State-of-the-art, perspectives” - "Kombination Biomassekessel / Stirlingmotor. Stand der Technik und Perspektiven"
- Guillem Tänzer, IZES gGmbH: NANOSITR - “Heat, Chilliness and Electricity - from one installation” - "NANOSTIR - Wärme, Kälte, Strom aus einer Anlagentechnik"
- Raimund Gerlinger, BIOKOMPAKT Heiztechnik GmbH: "Stirling engine and biomass boiler - a reasonable combination ?” - "Stirlingmotor und Biomassekessel - eine sinnvolle Kombination?"
- Roland Weidner, WEGRA Anlagenbau GmbH: "Generation of chilliness by the use of biomass boiler” - "Kälteerzeugung mittels Biomasseheizkessel"
- Andrea Jelitte, Kuhbier Law Firm: "Current an prospective basic conditions for the energetic use of biomass inside the EC“ - „"Aktuelle und künftige Rahmenbedingung für die energetische Nutzung von Biomasse in der EU"
- Impressionen of the symposiums
Publications and events:
- Article Nachwachsende Rohstoffe, März 2010, page 13
- 25. February 2010: Presentation of the project during the convention 3. Deutscher Stirling Kongress, CEP® CLEAN ENERGY & PASSIVEHOUSE, Stuttgart.
- Article Energiespektrum 11-12/2009, page 7.
- 04. December 2009: project presentation during the symposiums "Heat / Chilliness / Electricity - from one installation" at the professional school of agriculture Tulln (program + poster)
- Article VIK-Mitteilungen 03/09 with focus on CHCP, page 9-12
- Article NÖN (Niederösterreichische Nachrichten) 06/2008, page 22
- During the 15. Stralsunder symposium "Use of renewable energies and hydrogen technology" NANOSTIR has been presented.
European Commission, 6th Framework program Contract No. TREN/07/FP6EN/SO7.71550/038551
January 2008 - January 2011